Monday, June 30, 2008

Back at long last


Shibuya Kiyomizu Temple, Kyoto
in Yoyogi Idee Cafe, Jiyugaoka


I'm now back home in Vancouver after an absolutely unreal time in Japan, my first time there in 10 years. I crammed every day full of tons of exploring, shopping and eating, so I was pretty wiped out, but it was worth it. I started out in Tokyo and made my way to Kyoto, Osaka and Fukuoka. I was pretty excited that I actually managed to find a bunch of clothes that fit (though half of them were just t-shirts from Uniqlo). Shoes proved impossible, as did jackets and basically anything fitted, but I was very satisfied with my haul.


Shibuya stations kids Shibuya - rebellious school socks


I was too shy to ask people so I didn't take much in the way of street style photos other than a few random snaps of passersby which mostly turned out blurry. Of course, I saw lots of the notorious costumey looks like these kids in Shibuya, but in general Japanese style was all over the map. I was fascinated and inspired by the relentless experimentation, but also marvelled at how closely trends are followed and executed. The meticulous attention to detail in every aspect of life never ceased to astound me, from gorgeously presented desserts to face covers in changerooms to avoid getting sweat/makeup on garments, to this girl's sneaky subversion of the school uniform via Playboy bunny socks.

I tried to soak up as much as I could, and I will have lots of Japan-themed posts coming up over the next week or so, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Shay said...

sounds like an inspirational trip! I'm such a japanophile and have been meaning to go for ages, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences!