Thursday, April 17, 2008

Let's call the calling off, off!


Time to dip my toes into the water, after so much trepidation. I don't really have a manifesto because I'm not quite so organized or focussed. I think to start with this blog will be more in the "scrapbook" vein, cobbling together various images and influences that are inspiring me at the moment. Apologies for the thoroughly underwhelming introductory post, hopefully it'll all be uphill from here!


Right now I can't get the image of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in Shall We Dance, zipping around on roller skates and not missing a beat of choreography, out of my head. I think their roller skate routine captures what's so lovable about that pair - they always look impossibly stylish, but at the same time, they always look like they're having so much fun. All their films are exactly the same, but I think that's what makes Fred and Ginger movies such great comfort food - reliable, frothy romance. And every time I watch one of their films, I feel compelled to pin my hair up a la Ginger or add a sparkly brooch and try to channel some 30s glamour. I'm all for having fun with style so I think the spirit of Fred and Ginger is a good embodiment of what I plan on embracing with my little foray into style blogging.

No comments: